The Blumberg Family Jewish Community Services of Dothan ACOM Scholarship Program awards scholarships, via the Southeast Alabama Medical Center Foundation, to outstanding Jewish students attending the College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Blumberg Scholars are medical students who demonstrate the highest levels of academic excellence and personal character, and commit to serve Dothan’s Jewish and greater community.
The objective of this scholarship program is to help the ACOM educate and train the best and brightest doctors, prepared and committed to serve the citizens of rural, medically-underserved areas of Southeast Alabama, all designed to improve the quality of our fellow citizens’ healthcare for generations to come.
As of the 2016-2017 school year, the Blumberg Family Jewish Community Services of Dothan has completed its scholarship funding. No applications are being accepted at this time.
Learn more about the Blumberg Scholarship and Scholars:
Blumberg Family Jewish Community Services (the “JCS")
JCS was formed during the fall of 2007 operating under the auspices of Dothan’s Temple Emanu-El.
Our initiative to advance Dothan’s Jewish Community is named the Family Relocation Project.
The Family Relocation Project is truly distinctive, compared to dozens of similar activities nationwide. Dothan’s project has been carefully designed to answer your questions/concerns, be your community connection, and help you afford your move to join our community. JCS stands ready to be your community resource (Dothan’s “Jewish Welcome Wagon") and provide significant relocation financial assistance up to $50,000.
Family Relocation Project
Jewish Community Services’ bold objective is to relocate at least twenty families to Dothan, Alabama. To date, we have relocated 11 families from nine states and are eager to move at least seven additional families here by 2020.
Achieving this objective will truly advance the Jewish religion in Dothan by significantly increasing Temple Emanu-El’s membership and will be a cause to celebrate as we recognize The Jewish Community’s 120th Anniversary as a vibrant and respected part of greater Dothan.
We welcome your application for financial assistance from the JCS Family Relocation Project. Please note that our project has the following six guiding principles:
- There is no automatic entitlement to JCS resources. Rather your selection to participate in our project is dependent upon eligibility and qualification, on a case-by-case basis.
- Upon receiving your prospect questionnaire, the JCS executive director will begin working closely with your family to consider your candidacy to participate in the project. The questionnaire will take about 30 minutes to complete.
- If your family and the executive director subsequently agree to move forward with the application for financial assistance, Jewish Community Services will require a variety of due diligence steps which include, but are not limited to, providing copies of personal documents, written references, and authorization to carry-out background checks.
- Next steps require that you host the executive director in your current location for an in-home visit and then we will be pleased to have your family visit Dothan (at our expense) to enjoy our city and be welcomed by members of the Jewish community.
- If the project’s due diligence process described above concludes with the clear and positive recognition that your family is prepared to join our community, we will require that you sign an agreement stating that you will move to, and remain in, Dothan for at least five years.
- The JCS pledges to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal information throughout this process.
- If, during the term of your family’s multi-year contractual agreement, an unanticipated event may result in your family not fulfilling its obligation to remain in Dothan for the entire contract term, the JCS may be open to negotiating an early contract termination that must include your family agreeing to a repayment arrangement of the unforgiven component of JCS relocation assistance that was provided to your family.